Monday, June 30, 2008

I am so grateful to humanity and it's awesome endeavors in science and reason, to the Universe and it's laws that have brought me into existence at this time, the greatest time in history to be alive. It has placed my lot in an affluent country in the 21st Century, where free inquiry has allowed me to find truth in places that were previously locked away by religious censorship. It has allowed me to rise early and stay up late, the freedom to educate myself and better my character. It has given us the technology and free market that give us modern housing and electricity, a free press, free public libraries, and plenty of free time to pursue the finer things in life. Gone are the days when we were forced to live in fear of wrathful invisible deities and their demands on humanity. Gone are the days when we must accept that evil is the will of the Master of the Universe. Gone are the days that we delude ourselves to think that our deities will save us from ourselves.

All we have is ourselves. We must fight for freedom, for justice, for peace. You and I are our only hope.

This post was inspired by the Jewish prayer upon leaving the house of study.